Head honcho Linus Hall at Yazoo is asking us that question. He is pondering the idea of switching from bottles to cans. He wants the Yazoo drinkers to vote at the Yazoo Blog.
I do realize that bottles are synonymous with craft beer, but I firmly believe cans are a better choice. There are several reasons:
- lower dissolved oxygen levels since there is less air space
- easier and cheaper to recycle
- beer gets colder faster
- impervious to light (light is very bad for beer)
- cheaper to package and transport
- less restrictive to consume at places like pools, beaches, events, etc.
As far as adding a metallic taste to the beer, that's just misinformation. Cans are now 100% aluminum and have a tasteless water based liner on the inside. In a blind taste test, you will not be able to taste the difference between a canned or bottled beer fresh from the brewery. Now a bottled beer that has sat in direct or direct light for a month WILL taste different- and worse.
I vote for cans. What about you?