Beer Review- Samuel Adams Latitude 48

I figured it was time to review a beer purchased off the grocery store shelves. Kroger to be exact. Be forewarned, I am very finicky with IPAs because they are one of my favorite styles.


Samuel Adams Latitude 48
Boston Beer Company- Boston MA
ABV: 6.0%   


SMITTY'S REVIEW: Sampled at 50 degrees. Pours translucent orange amber with light tan head that dissipates to a retentive ring. Medium bodied with a steady carbonation.Aroma of citrus and pine,with a hint of malts in the background. Initial flavor of caramel and toasted malts, transitioning to a tamed spicy, juniper-esque bitterness. Finishes with an assertive flavor of bitter grapefruit rind, but with some mildly distracting soapiness. Perhaps my standards for IPAs are a little higher than normal, but I found this beer to be average at best. Filtration took away from some of the mouth feel, and the hop profile is not that exciting. It's lacking the cohesiveness and complexity of a great IPA, at least for me. Sorry Latitude 48 fans, this one is not doing it for me. The good news is that you all have another IPA choice to throw in your shopping cart. I'll stick to Sweetwater IPA as my "Kroger beer" until the next challenger steps to the plate.

Rating*: 7 out of 10

Recommended Food Pairing: Pepperoni Pizza, Buffalo Wings, Mexican Food

Value: 
Average at around $7.99 per six pack

Beer Audience: Hopheads

Where To Buy:  Almost any place that carries Sam Adams products.

Other Sam Adams Beers To Try: Noble Pils, Black Lager, Cream Stout, Imperial Stout, Double White

* rating system based on aroma (1 pt), appearance (1pt), palate (2 pts) flavor (3pts), comparison to other commercial examples of the style (3pts)

No comments: