Random Brews News- October

I am happy to report that my trip to the Great American Beer Festival (GABF)was....uh...great! Congratulations to local brewpub Blackstone Brewery for capturing a gold medal in the Brown Porter category. This honor was awarded for their St. Charles Porter. I may sound like a homer, but I think it's the best brown porter I have tried in my several years of beer traveling. Check back later for a pictures and a report on my GABF trip.

Several seasonal beers are on the shelves, including Octoberfests and Pumpkin Beers. One of my favorite pumpkin beers is Schlafly Pumpkin Ale. It is available at most liquor stores with a high gravity beer section.If you have not tried it, you won't be disappointed (unless you hate pumpkin spices)

Cool Springs Brewery is now open. I tried to stop by for a late lunch and they were about to closed for the afternoon. I am not sure why, but they were getting ready to install a new sign. Perhaps that had something to do with it. I left disappointed as I was looking forward to trying their beers and pizza. I am not sure when I will be on that side of town again, but I will report back when I do. If any of you have been there, feel free to post your thoughts in the comments section.

Wine Down Main Street in Franklin is fast approaching. The tasting will be held November 6th from 7 to 10pm. Don't let the event title fool you, they are going to feature high gravity beers tasting according the release:

"In addition to hundreds of wine selections available for tasting, organizers have announced a new High Gravity Beer Section that will be located at Landmark Booksellers and Cadence Bank during the event. There will be approximately 15 to 20 High Gravity Beers to taste, including brands such as: Stone, Dogfish Head, Rogue, Ommegang, Duval and more."

My hat is off to the organizers for understanding that beer is just as sophisticated as wine. Advance tickets are available online or on the Boys & Girls Club website

Hallmark Volkswagen
620 Bakers Bridge Rd.

Character Eyes
407 Church Street, Suite 1

What's in Store
407 Main Street

The Faye Snodgrass Gallery
344 Main Street

Boys & Girls Club of Franklin / Williamson County
129 W. Fowlkes St, Suite 1000



3 comments:

mIKES said...

go to the Cool Springs Brewery this Saturday (10/24/09) from 3 to 5. My posse from the Yazoo taproom will be there in the party room. We probably know you.

"joisy" mike

Anonymous said...

Was at the brewery last night, and rather enjoyed what I tried. The Oatmeal Stout was flavorful (if a bit thin), the red and pale were average for their categories, and the Franklin First kolsch was pretty darn good for its style. Didn't try the hefe, but will be back for the other four. It's so nice to have a brewery option out this way!

Smitty said...

Thanks Mike. My afternoon is rather busy, but I will do my best to break free and head out that way. Thanks for the invite. If I don't make it out, keep me posted on any other beer related events