April Beer of the Month - Guinness 250th Anniversary


I realize that I skipped march. I am sorry about that. I do have a good excuse but I won't bore you with it. Normally I pick a beer that I am familiar with, but I am going to review one that I have not tried- Guinness 250th Anniversary Stout. Guinness was one of my gateways into the craft beer and I still enjoy a pint on occasion, even though a few fellow beer snobs give it a bad rap.

Guinness 25oth Anniversary Stout- Guinness LTD. ( Dublin Ireland)

Description:
Using a unique brewhouse process that combines the use of stout and ale malt, it’s a distinctive carbonated stout with a clean, smooth finish. This is especially exciting, as we haven’t introduced a new stout to the US since 1967, when we first started importing Guinness® Draught.

Smitty's Review: Sampled at about 45 degrees. Pours a deep brown/black with a one finger tan head. Nice aroma of dark chocolate, dark roasted malts, and a hint of milkiness. Medium bodied but with a slightly watery mouth feel. Initial flavor of black patent malts and mild coffee that transitions to notes of tea, mild bittering hops, and unsweetened bakers chocolate. The semi-dry finish is somewhat husky, with some subtle flavors of chalk and green apple. At first, this beer tastes a little over attenuated (sweetness fermented out), but as it gets close to room temperature some small amounts of sweetness creep in to help balance things out. Overall this is underwhelming and average. To be honest, I am disappointed with this beer. One would think that Guinness would produce something more exciting, especially for their 250th anniversary. On the other hand, they are a macro brewery and I should not be surprised that marketing may have been more important than the beer. If you have the chance, you might as well try it since it's a limited release. If the opportunity passes by, don't be sad because I don't think you will be missing much. So far, I seem to be in the minority among the people that have tried it. To each his own. Cheers!

Recommended Food Pairing: Chocolate and chocolate desserts, grilled meats, oysters

Where To Buy: Most specialty beer stores

1 comment:

The Beer Snob said...

I'm one of those fellow beer snobs that give it a bad rap, but I have plans to review it....I haven't had it in years, maybe I'll appreciate it more now?