What's new in the bottle shops- December 2008


Last week I decided to swing by Midtown Wine and Spirits for the heck of it and guess what? We have some new beers on the shelves! For starters, there are three offerings from La Chouffe (Belgium) available in 750ml bottles-Houblon (IPA), N'Ice, and the Winter seasonal. The Houblon has one of the most bizarre and retentive heads I have ever witnessed in a beer.

They also have Saison Dupont in 750ml bottles and 4 packs. It's about effing time Nashville carried this beer. It is an outstanding Saison and in my opinion, a benchmark for the style.

Today I stopped by Frugal MacDoogal to get a Christmas gift for my father, since they carry a nice selection of Bourbon. I grabbed two new arrivals for myself. The first one was Ommegang Chocolate Indulgence 10th Anniversary. This is a limited edition beer, so grab it while you can. The second choice was Dogfish Head Theobroma. This beer is based on chemical analysis of pottery fragments found in Honduras which revealed the earliest known alcoholic chocolate drink used by early civilizations to toast special occasions. It is brewed with Aztec cocoa powder and nibs, honey, chilis, and annatto. I am been wanting to try this one since it was released earlier this year, so I was very pleased to see this on the shelves. Look for a review very soon. I left the liquor store side and quickly scanned the beer store side. After a three year hiatus, Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock is back and available for $12.99 per 22 ounce bottle.

No comments: